Questions about ID&R? Please email or call 866-963-6677 


Identification means to determine the location and presence of migratory children/youth. 

Recruitment means to contact migrant families, explaining the  Migrant Education Program (MEP), securing the necessary information to make a determination that the child/youth is eligible for the MEP and recording the basis of the child's eligibility on a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Upon successful identification of a migrant family, eligible children may be enrolled in the MEP.

Identification and Recruitment (ID&R) means locating and contacting the family in order to ascertain a child’s eligibility for the MEP.



Certificate of Eligibility

Questions? Contact the ID&R Team at: 

or call 866-963-6677


Frequently Asked Questions

Question: Is horse farm work an eligible activity under the Title I, Part C Migrant Education Program qualifying criteria? 
: In Louisiana, there are three situations as follow:
No. Cleaning of race (or pleasure) horse stables is not a qualifying activity because horse racing is not an eligible agricultural activity.
Yes. Seasonal cutting of alfalfa is a qualifying activity because the cutting of the alfalfa is considered an agricultural activity.
Yes. Seasonal cleaning of draft horse stables is a qualifying activity, if the draft horses are used for agricultural purposes on an agriculture or tree farm.
U.S. Department of Education, Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, Office of Migrant Education, Non-Regulatory Guidance for the Title I, Part C Education of Migratory Children, Washington, D.C., 2010. (Chapter II, G6-8).

Question:  Does the recruiter need to complete another COE when the eligible family is still living in the district a year later?
Answer:  On the Signatures page of the Louisiana MEP Tablet COE, there are three tabs – Migrant, Staff, and Recertify. When the Recertify tab is selected, several boxes appear to recertify the family for the 2nd and 3rd years of eligibility. This section is to verify if the family is still living in the district after the initial sign-up year. A family has 36 months of eligibility after the QAD date. The migrant funding year runs from Sept. 1 to Aug. 31. You may get the signatures at any time during that period. However, it is best to obtain the signatures as close to Sept. 1 (or anniversary of the family's QAD date) as possible because families are most likely to still be residing in your district. Ask the family or OSY if a more recent qualifying move has been made. If not, have parent, guardian, or OSY sign and date COE. In the presence of the parent, guardian, or OSY, the recruiter signs and dates the box next to their signature. For the third funding year, follow the same protocol.
When the recruiter secures the signature of the parent, guardian, or OSY, and signs the document as well, they will not need to re-submit. When the box is signed the date is automatically filled in. Since the COE has already been approved, it does not need to go through the regular approval process.  After a recruiter completes the recertify of the COE, they will do a 'Procedures/Upload Changes' in order to upload the changes to the state server.  The family is then recertified for another year.

Question: Is bee-tending considered qualifying work for purposes of the MEP? The work includes: keeping the bees alive, pollinating the bees, and splitting the bees into additional colonies.
Answer: “Agricultural work”, as defined by the MEP, is the “production or initial processing of crops, dairy products, poultry, or livestock; as well as the cultivation or harvesting of trees. It consists of work performed for wages or personal subsistence.” [See 34 CFR 200.81(a).] Activities such as keeping the bees alive, pollinating the bees, and splitting the bees into additional colonies are all integral to producing crops such as honey and beeswax, and pollinating fruit and vegetable crops. Therefore, these activities would be considered agricultural work. In order to make a final determination about whether these bee-tending activities are considered “qualifying” work, the State must determine the following:
1. Is the work performed in order to produce a crop or is it performed for recreational purposes? Work that is performed for recreational purposes is not considered “qualifying work.”
2. How long do the workers intend to remain employed? If the workers are employed temporarily or seasonally, then the work would be considered “qualifying work” (assuming that the work is not performed for recreational purposes). But, if the workers are employed permanently, then the work would not be considered “qualifying work”.
Of course, all other eligibility criteria must also be met in order for the workers or their children to qualify (children must be under age 22, they must be eligible for a free public education, etc.).